6 egg yolks
6 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 1/2 cups heavy cream (I used whipping cream)
2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 300F ( 150C ).
- Beat egg yolks, white sugar and vanilla in a bowl until thick and creamy.
- Pour 1cup of cream into a saucepan and stir over low heat until it almost come to boil. Remove cream from heat.
- Stir cream into egg yolk mixture and whisk briefly.
- Pour the cream/yolk mixture into the rest of the cream and whisk.
- Skim the foam and pour the mixture into ramekins and place in a baking dish.
- Place baking dish in oven and pour hot water in the dish until it comes halfway up the ramekins.
- Bake at 375 F (180C ) for 15 - 30 minutes or until it has the gelatin like jiggle.
- Remove from oven, cool in bath water for about 15minutes.
- Place ramekins in freezer for an hour then you can transfer it to the fridge until serving time.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar and brown sugar.
- Torch the sugar until it caramelized. Be carefull not to burn.
- Serve immediately.
You can use coffee cups if you do not have ramekins.
You can use a broiler if you do not have a torch.